In this space I will hopefully post regular updates on the development of my work process and findings to produce pieces for my MA in creative practice.
Experimenting with Clay Models 1
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Also, I feel that making some clay models before going concrete is a good idea.
So headed to the ceramics department yesterday and had the greatest afternoon,
All the hard work and planning came together in my, what I call, CALL + RESPONSE exibition. Here is a video tour and some photographs of the event. (please click on link or image) https://vimeo.com/595363643 My special thanks go to Leila Reeves who took the fabulous pics for me!
As I started to develop doubts whether I would achieve the effect I'm after with my layering method in concrete, I decided to run those tests in clay as shown in the previous post: https://sandraholleart.blogspot.com/2021/04/showing-link-between-ceramics-and.html The fired results led me to making some domed pieces that I can see as sitting forms or wall pieces. Here are some documented steps along the way until I had some very rewarding, silky smooth results. For the pattern to be inlayed in a different colour, I used a mould from a previous wax carving for a concrete cast. see post https://sandraholleart.blogspot.com/2021/04/drawing-evolved.html The imprint is filled with layers of different coloured clay and then cut back to level On this piece, I added some woven copper wire which I hoped would burn away and leave black traces from the molten copper. burnishing before firing At a so called leather hard stage (when the clay still hasn't fully dried out but isn't anymore ...
In a previous post I wrote about using fire in order incorporate empty space into my work. The empty space that encourages us to examine and find out what used to be there in the first place. I applied what I learned by using a blow torch on a concrete test piece as the equivalent to firing away combustable material in the ceramics kiln. https://sandraholleart.blogspot.com/2021/05/exploring-empty-space-using-papermache.html papermache forms in concrete, excess papermache burnt away Now out of the kiln: the "holey" equivalents in clay that served me well before thinking about the concrete approach: Combustable materials (chickpeas, paper, paper mache beads) pushed into the clay to burn away and leave the textured negative spaces After the first firing I accentuated the areas where material had burnt off with oxides such as copper carbonate and manganese which I would try as stains on concrete later examples of texture through burning away and staining with oxides - some of the...
Comments
Post a Comment