In this space I will hopefully post regular updates on the development of my work process and findings to produce pieces for my MA in creative practice.
Images_Assemblage
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
These are forms I like and think they are worth going back to when going a bit larger.
Also, I find that here the combination with wire works well.
All the hard work and planning came together in my, what I call, CALL + RESPONSE exibition. Here is a video tour and some photographs of the event. (please click on link or image) https://vimeo.com/595363643 My special thanks go to Leila Reeves who took the fabulous pics for me!
In a previous post I wrote about using fire in order incorporate empty space into my work. The empty space that encourages us to examine and find out what used to be there in the first place. I applied what I learned by using a blow torch on a concrete test piece as the equivalent to firing away combustable material in the ceramics kiln. https://sandraholleart.blogspot.com/2021/05/exploring-empty-space-using-papermache.html papermache forms in concrete, excess papermache burnt away Now out of the kiln: the "holey" equivalents in clay that served me well before thinking about the concrete approach: Combustable materials (chickpeas, paper, paper mache beads) pushed into the clay to burn away and leave the textured negative spaces After the first firing I accentuated the areas where material had burnt off with oxides such as copper carbonate and manganese which I would try as stains on concrete later examples of texture through burning away and staining with oxides - some of the...
For me, although different materials and processes involved, ceramics and concrete work have common ground. I started off making intuitive clay models which I gave an additional dimension by casting them in concrete. To find my way into my practice MA, I again started off with clay models, clay test tiles, slip decoration and oxides. This helped me to define the direction I would be going and formed the basis of what (and how) I would adapt in concrete. The processes I learned in ceramics work such as hand building, slip casting, slip decoration, burnishing, polishing, dealing with cracks or using oxides are very well adaptable to my concrete work and helped me to create my forms. On the other hand, I use my experiences with concrete to achieve textures and surfaces in clay as well and gained a better understanding of processes for both materials. When a glaze reaction happens in the kiln on a ceramic piece, the same is true for a work in concrete where different ingredients react diff...
Comments
Post a Comment