More incoorporated looped wire

Conceptually, I have always been inclined to visualise the heaviness and fatigue and vertigo since these are symptoms that effect me personally, living with MS. I made an animated collage about those issues as part of my undergraduate work. Quiet and rest and patience seem to be the only solution here. Some sort of resting place for my stressed mind in form of a pillow is admittedly a very obvious translation but also a suitable one in this case. Why encode the subject more than necessary... 

Here is the initial clip for recap:


Now, the pillow/rest theme is reappearing in my sculpture work:

wire pillow in the making...

ready to be hardened with a rawhide mallet to give it more tension

The finished copper work with the intended counterpart of a smooth and heavy concrete boulder

Whilst the concrete work is physically demanding, the wire looping Asawa-style I can do sitting down and in-between errands and chores when I need a break. So, the theme of resting and regaining some energy lies not only in the finished piece, a 'pillow', but also in the process.

It's a contradictory material for a pillow though. We associate softness and cosy-ness with a cushion or pillow. The wire suggests the opposite. Whilst bouncy and supportive, this fabric-like wire structure is deceiving. It can corrode and break down or leave marks on objects that are a more fragile structure.

The finished piece consist of the springy wire pillow (ca 1.2 kg copper wire) and a polished concrete boulder resting on it. I find this piece has a lot of room for interpretetion. it was one of the favourite works at my garden show on 29.8.21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

more glazing trials on discs

Prototypes...